Chinese 'Takeaway Style' Curry Sauce
Submitted - Ben
Ingredients2 tbsps coconut oil (AKA coconut butter)
2 tbsp plain flour
approx. 400ml chicken stock
A dash of soya sauce
1 medium onion, cut into large chunks
1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
2 heaped tsps of curry powder
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp chilli flakes
1/2 tsp onion powder
A pinch of ground star anise
A pinch of ground cummin
A few slices of green chilli
1/2 cup of frozen/fresh peas
Method1. Using a small wok or frying pan, heat the coconut oil till hot then add the onions to the pan.
2. Fry over a high heat for about 3 -4 mins, till lightly browned. Turn down the heat (low) then add the chopped garlic and sliced chilli to the pan.
3. Fry for just a few seconds before adding all of the spices and flour to the pan.
4. Cook over a gentle heat for approx. 1 minute, stirring the whole time.
5. Pour over the chicken stock and add the peas and soya sauce to the mixture.
6. Stir well then allow to cook over a medium heat for approx. 12 - 15 mins, stirring regularly. If it starts to get too thick, add another little splosh of chicken stock or water.
7. The sauce is now ready to use.
CommentsThis recipe produces a Chinese takeaway style curry sauce to which you can add prawns, chicken, vegetables etc. once the sauce has finished cooking. You can stir fry the chicken or prawns first if you like, but i prefer to just cook them gently in the sauce, that way the chicken/prawns stay juicy and tender :)