Smoked haddock chowder
Submitted - Ben
Ingredients* 450g smoked cod or smoked haddock (undyed)
* 1 bay leaf
* 2 tbsp light olive oil
* 50g butter
* 2 onions , finely chopped
* 2 leeks , halved lengthways and thinly sliced
* 3 celery sticks, thinly sliced
* sweetcorn kernels from 1 corn-on-the-cob, or 140g/5oz frozen sweetcorn
* 900g potatoes , peeled and diced
* 3 garlic cloves , crushed with 1 tsp sea salt
* 2 tsp chopped fresh thyme or ½ tsp dried thyme
* 600ml milk
* some double cream
* chopped fresh parsley
Method1. Put the fish in a deep frying pan with the bay leaf and 600ml/1 pint boiling water. Cover and simmer for 2 minutes. Turn off the heat and leave to stand, covered, for a further 5 minutes. Drain, reserving the liquid, then flake the fish.
2. Heat the oil and butter in a deep saucepan. Add the vegetables (including potatoes) and garlic and fry over a high heat until starting to soften. Stir in the thyme and the reserved cooking liquid and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes until the vegetables have softened.
3. Pour half the soup into a bowl and mash with a potato masher or fork. Return to the pan with the milk, cream and fish. Simmer for 3 minutes, taste and season if needed. Add the parsley and serve.